We ask for a certain level of academic attainment in order to join the College. We have set our entry requirements at this level because we believe that if you have achieved these grades you are prepared for the challenge of advanced level study and should start your courses with us with confidence.
For entry in September 2020, there are three sets of criteria, depending on what programme of study you choose. Your choices are:
Standard 3 A level Programme:
The majority of our students will choose to study 3 A level subjects and will commit to these subjects for the full 2 years. Entry requirements for this programme are:
- At least two grade 6s at GCSE
- At least a further three grade 4s at GCSE
- You should have at least grade 4 in BOTH GCSE English Language AND Mathematics.
Please note that there may be additional entry requirements specific to particular subjects – please check each subject listing on our website carefully to ensure you understand these entry requirements.
4 A level Programme:
Some very able students may choose to study 4 A level subjects. These students must commit to these 4 subjects for the full 2 years. This will include most students who choose to study A level Further Mathematics, who will pick Mathematics, Further Mathematics and two other subjects. Entry requirements for this programme are:
- At least five grade 7s at GCSE
- You should have at least grade 6 in GCSE English Language AND Mathematics.
- Check each subject listing on our website for any subject-specific grade requirements.
BTEC Extended Diploma or CACHE Diploma:
BTEC Extended Diploma and CACHE Diploma courses are equivalent to studying 3 A levels, so have the same entry requirements to A levels. The only difference is that other courses equivalent to GCSE (e.g. BTEC First Diplomas and OCR Nationals) count towards entry requirements for BTEC/CACHE. You need:
- At least two grade 6s at GCSE or merits on an equivalent course
- At least a further three grade 4s at GCSE or equivalent, including at least grade 4 in GCSE English Language or Mathematics, with at least grade 3 in the other one. Students who have a grade 3 in one of these two key subjects will be required to retake this GCSE in addition to the BTEC Extended Diploma.
- Some BTEC courses have specific entry requirements: Science requires a minimum grade 4 in Maths and two grade 4s in GCSE Science; IT requires a minimum grade 4 in Maths and IT/Computer Science; Art & Design requires a minimum grade 4 in an Arts-based GCSE.
- The CACHE Level 3 Childcare Diploma requires both English Language and Maths at grade 4 or above. CACHE students wishing to move into Primary teaching in the future also require at least a grade 4 in Science.