This course is a BTEC Extended Diploma, equivalent to studying 3 A levels.
Why study BTEC Business?
- The BTEC Extended Diploma specification in Business uses a combination of assessment styles to give students confidence they can apply their knowledge to succeed in the workplace – and have the study skills to continue learning on higher education courses and throughout their career.
- This range of vocational assessments – both practical and written – mean students can showcase their learning and achievements to best effect when they take their next step, whether that’s supporting applications to higher education courses or potential employers.
Why study BTEC Business at Solihull Sixth Form College?
- Students have the opportunity to visit global brands and franchise exhibitions, whilst local entrepreneurs who have succeeded at a national level deliver talks to students to give them key business insights into how they have grown their businesses. Many units are linked to businesses where efforts are made for external visitors to enhance the learning of the students.
- We have links with the University of Birmingham who deliver masterclasses targeted specifically at BTEC students and can also provide academic mentors for our students.
- Sainsbury, Coventry Building Society, Paragon Finance and HSBC regularly come into College and enhance learning. Key Construction also provides a monetary prize to the winners of a Dragons’ Den competition.
- Varied teaching methods are used throughout the course – e.g. group work, role play, presentations, independent study, videos and teacher-led activities – and assessment is based upon authentic business situations, with an emphasis on developing skills relevant to the workplace.
This is a sample of the units to be delivered.
• Unit 1: Exploring Business
• Unit 2: Developing a marketing campaign CONTROLLED ASSESSMENT – May
• Unit 3: Personal and Business Finance EXAM – May
• Unit 4: Managing an event
• Unit 8: Recruitment and selection process
• Unit 9: Team building in Business
• Unit 23: The English legal system
• Unit 5: International Business
• Unit 6: Principles of Management – CONTROLLED ASSESSMENT – May
• Unit 7: Business decision making – CONTROLLED ASSESSMENT – May
• Unit 9: Team building in business
• Unit 19: Pitching for a new business
• Unit 22: Market Research
• Unit 24: Employment Law
External Assessment (42%) will consist of THREE controlled assessments in the form of a case study and completed under supervised conditions where a task will be set and marked by Pearson and ONE written exam under exam conditions.
Internal Assessment (58%) will take the form of written assignments of at least two assignments per unit written in a business context by the teachers.
Examining Board – Pearson
Special Entry Requirements
Standard BTEC Extended Diploma entry requirements apply. A clear DBS ‘Disclosure and Barring Service’ may be needed depending on the nature of any work placement. The cost of the DBS is approximately £60.00 and if it is needed then you are responsible for this payment (details of how to pay will be provided).
What do our students go on to do?
The majority of students on this course progress to university. Past students have gone onto courses like Business Management, Human Resources, Law and Accountancy or courses with another related subject e.g. Business and IT. Sponsored degree programmes and Higher Apprenticeships are also an option and are highly valued by employers. These include places on the prestigious KPMG 360 Accounting programme and the PwC Flying Start programme, both of which include sponsored places at university.
On this course you will be expected to undertake a work experience placement in both the first and the second year, the purpose of which is to gather information and insights about the workplace, which can be included in your College assignments. Work placements also help develop your employability skills. By the end of the course, you will have gained relevant skills and have a CV with cover letter along with a LinkedIn account. Joining LinkedIn will offer you career opportunities now and will assist your long-term career aspirations, as your profile will be accessible by thousands of prospective employers. Throughout your time at college, you will use the LinkedIn account to record all of your activities including work experience and any part-time paid employment.
Some trips or visits arranged will need to be paid for.
This information is correct for September 2022 entry.