Applied Science — Solihull Sixth Form College

Applied Science

(1 A level equivalent course)

Why study Applied Science?
  • The BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Applied Science uses a combination of assessment styles to give learners the confidence to apply their knowledge to succeed in the workplace and develop the study skills to continue learning throughout their career.
  • The course is designed for learners who are interested in learning about the science sector alongside other fields of study, with a view to progressing to a range of higher education courses, but not necessarily in applied science. It is to be taken as part of a programme of study that includes two other A Levels or BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificates.
  • There is a range of assessments – both practical and written – which allow learners to showcase their learning and skills to best effect when they take their next step, such as applications to higher education courses or to potential employers.
    42% of the assessment is done by internally assessed coursework, the remaining 58% by exams.
  • The course covers a range of Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Science topics giving an excellent foundation for many university courses, jobs or apprenticeships.
Why study Applied Science at Solihull Sixth Form College?
  • The course is delivered in a variety of ways to help you to develop a range of skills. There are laboratory-based practical assignments, supported by self-study, presentations, group work and discussion.
  • Throughout your course you will be taught by specialist Biology, Chemistry and Physics teachers and supported by a team of technicians.
  • Lessons are taught in specialist laboratories with access to equipment which enables you to develop your practical skills.
  • Studying for the Certificate allows you to choose two of a wide range of A level subjects alongside to support your interests and career ambitions.
  • There is also an opportunity for students to join our new STEM Programme enrichment and work towards a CREST award.
Course Outline

The BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Applied Science qualification consists of mandatory and optional units, which are assessed by different methods. You will study a total of 4 units which include:

Year 12:
Unit 1: Principles and Applications of Science (Exam)
Unit 2: Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques (Internal)

Year 13:
Unit 3: Science Investigation Skills (Exam)
Unit 10: Biological Molecules and Metabolic Pathways (Internal)

Assessment

58% of the course is externally assessed by exam or controlled assessment; 42% is internally assessed by assignments.
Examining Board – Pearson.
This 4 unit qualification is the equivalent of one A Level. Grades are awarded from Distinction* to Pass and carry the normal number of UCAS points for university entry.

Special Entry Requirements

Grade 4 or above in GCSE Mathematics and English Language and two grade 4s from Biology, Chemistry and Physics or grade 4-4 in Combined Science, in addition to standard entry requirements.

Prohibited Options

Cannot be taken alongside A Level Biology, A Level Chemistry or A Level Physics.

Progression Opportunities

The qualification carries UCAS points and is recognised by higher education providers as contributing to meeting admission requirements for many courses if taken alongside other qualifications as part of a two-year programme of learning, including, but not exclusively, those which are science-related. The qualification can be taken as part of a diverse programme, leaving progression options fully open. It can also give context to subjects which would benefit from some scientific background. This will depend on the combination of qualifications chosen.

Cost Implications

Payment for transport for visits.

This information is correct for September 2023 entry.

Open Days

Come and have a look!

Come along to one of our free college open days and see what courses and options we have to offer you. Book your place today!

See Dates

Case Studies

Daisy Holgate

Daisy Holgate came to the College from Swanshurst School. She chose to study Biology, Chemistry and History at A level…

Read more