We ask for a certain level of academic attainment in order to join the College. We have set our entry requirements at this level because we believe that if you have achieved these grades you are prepared for the challenge of advanced level study and should start your courses with us with confidence.
For entry in September 2017, there are three sets of criteria, depending on what programme of study you choose. Your choices are:
Standard 3 A level Programme:
The majority of our students will choose to study 3 A level courses and will commit to these subjects for the full 2 years. Entry requirements for this programme are:
• At least two B grades or grade 6s at GCSE
• At least a further three C grades or grade 4s at GCSE
• You should have at least a grade 4 or C grade in GCSE English Language or Mathematics, with at least a grade 3 or D grade in the other one. If you do have a grade 3 or D in one of these key subjects, you will be required to re-take this GCSE in addition to your A level studies.
Please note that there may be additional entry requirements specific to particular courses – please check each course listing on our website carefully to ensure you understand these entry requirements.
4 A level Programme:
Some very able students may choose to study 4 A level subjects. This will include all students who choose to study A level Further Mathematics, who will pick Mathematics, Further Mathematics and two other subjects. These students must commit to these 4 subjects for the full 2 years. Entry requirements for this programme are:
• At least 5 A/A* grades or grade 7’s at GCSE
• You should have at least a grade 4 or C grade in GCSE English Language and Mathematics.
• Students picking Mathematics and Further Mathematics will need to get at least a grade 7 in GCSE Mathematics.
BTEC Extended Diploma or CACHE Diploma:
BTEC Extended Diploma and CACHE Diploma courses are equivalent to studying 3 A levels, so have the same entry requirements as for A level. The only difference is that other courses equivalent to GCSE (e.g. BTEC First Diplomas and OCR Nationals) count towards entry requirements for BTEC/CACHE, while only GCSEs count for an A level programme. You need:
• At least two B grades or grade 6s at GCSE or merit on an equivalent course
• At least a further three C grades or grade 4s at GCSE or equivalent
• You should have at least a grade 4 or C grade in GCSE English Language or Mathematics, with at least a grade 3 or D grade in the other one. If you do have a grade 3 or D in one of these two key subjects, you will be required to re-take this GCSE in addition to your BTEC/CACHE Diploma.
Please note that while most GCSE courses are grades A*-G, GCSE Mathematics and GCSE English Language and GCSE English Literature will be graded 9-1 (grade 9 being the top grade) from 2017 onwards. This is due to reforms being introduced nationwide by the Department of Education. All GCSE courses will be graded by the new system in coming years, but for 2017, it will only be Mathematics and English that adopt this new grading system. If you sat your English and/or Maths exams before 2017, you will still be graded A*-G. Grade 4 is roughly equivalent to a C grade in the old system.