We ask for a certain level of academic attainment in order to join the College. We have set our entry requirements at this level because we believe that if you have achieved these grades you are prepared for the challenge of advanced level study and should start your courses with us with confidence.
For entry in September 2018, there are three sets of criteria, depending on what programme of study you choose. Your choices are:
Standard 3 A level Programme:
The majority of our students will choose to study 3 A level courses and will commit to these subjects for the full 2 years. Entry requirements for this programme are:
• At least two grade 6s or B grades at GCSE
• At least a further three grade 4s or C grades at GCSE
• You should have at least a grade 4 or C grade in GCSE English Language AND Mathematics.
Please note that there may be additional entry requirements specific to particular courses – please check each course listing on our website carefully to ensure you understand these entry requirements.
4 A level Programme:
Some very able students may choose to study 4 A level subjects. This will include all students who choose to study A level Further Mathematics, who will pick Mathematics, Further Mathematics and two other subjects. These students must commit to these 4 subjects for the full 2 years. Entry requirements for this programme are:
• At least five grade 7s or A/A* grades at GCSE
• You should have at least a grade 6 or B grade in GCSE English Language AND Mathematics.
• Students picking Mathematics and Further Mathematics will need to get at least a grade 7 in GCSE Mathematics.
BTEC Extended Diploma or CACHE Diploma:
BTEC Extended Diploma and CACHE Diploma courses are equivalent to studying 3 A levels, so have the same entry requirements as for A level. The only difference is that other courses equivalent to GCSE (e.g. BTEC First Diplomas and OCR Nationals) count towards entry requirements for BTEC/CACHE, while only GCSEs count for an A level programme. You need:
• At least two grade 6s or B grades at GCSE or merit on an equivalent course
• At least a further three grade 4s or C grades at GCSE or equivalent
• On BTECs you should have at least a grade 4 or C grade in GCSE English Language or Mathematics, with at least a grade 3 or D grade in the other one. If you do have a grade 3 or D in one of these two key subjects, you will be required to re-take this GCSE in addition to your BTEC Diploma. CACHE requires a grade C or 4 in English, Mathematics AND preferably Science.
Please note that most GCSE courses will be graded 9-1 (grade 9 being the top grade) from 2018 onwards. This is due to reforms being introduced nationwide by the Department for Education. All GCSE courses will be graded by the new system by the following year. If you sat your GCSE exams before 2018, most will have been graded A*-G. Grade 4 is roughly equivalent to a C grade in the old system.