Thinking of raising money for charitable causes at College?
The College is committed to supporting students who have the enthusiasm and social responsibility to raise money for charities and good causes. To help you do this we have drawn up the following guidelines:
- Any student who is interested in organising a collection or an event in college should first speak to Tina Champion (SDO Co-ordinator) or to Anisa Lokat-Fanning, Associate Assistant Principal with responsibility for Wider Student Services.
- We do not want to deter students from raising money for charities – they do really important work, helping those in the greatest need – but be vigilant and take sensible steps to make sure you are giving safely. The Charity Commission provides advice to the public on its website about giving safely: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/safer-giving-advice-for-charities-and-the-public. All students must adhere to the College’s Fundraising & Giving Safely Guidelines.
- To gain approval for your fundraising activity, we will want to know that you are raising money for a registered charity. The Charity Commission also holds a register on their website so you can check this out: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/charity-commission.
- Organisers should also speak to the Student Council; they may be willing to help.
- Students will be allocated a link Student Development Officer to liaise with regarding the organisation of the event. A risk assessment will need to be completed along with a charities form and allergy prior to the event being authorised.
- The Marketing Co-ordinator, Bev Bishop, should be contacted once approval is granted. Bev is always happy to help with publicising the event, taking photographs and drafting press releases.
- All monies raised should be counted and banked in the Finance Office by the student organiser and the lead member of staff and the Finance Office is happy to raise a cheque for the chosen charities.
Every year a summary of student fundraising will be displayed in the College refectory for all to see.