Yes. Those studying a BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (2 A level equivalent) plus 1 A level/A level equivalent have similar entry requirements to a 3 A level programme. The only difference is that other courses equivalent to GCSE (e.g. BTEC First Awards and OCR Nationals) count towards the entry requirements. To support your future aspirations, you must choose one from the wide selection of A level/A level equivalent courses we have on offer to complement your BTEC level 3 National Diploma. You will need:
- At least two grade 6s at GCSE
- At least a further three grade 4s at GCSE
- You should have at least grade 4 in BOTH GCSE English Language AND Mathematics.
Some BTEC Level 3 National Diplomas have specific entry requirements: e.g. Science requires a minimum of two grade 4s in GCSE Science. It is important students check the individual course pages to ensure they know of any other subject-specific requirements.
Those students who choose to study a BTEC Extended Diploma or CACHE Diploma (equivalent to studying 3 A levels) will also be able to count other courses equivalent to GCSE (e.g. BTEC First Awards and OCR Nationals) towards entry requirements for BTEC/CACHE and on some courses students are accepted with either English Language OR Maths at grade 4 (see below). You will need:
- At least two grade 6s at GCSE or merits on an equivalent course
- At least a further three grade 4s at GCSE or equivalent, including at least grade 4 in GCSE English Language OR Mathematics, with at least grade 3 in the other one. Students who have a grade 3 in one of these two key subjects will be required to retake this GCSE in addition to the BTEC Extended Diploma.
- Some BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma courses have specific entry requirements: Science requires a minimum grade 4 in Maths and two grade 4s in GCSE Science; IT requires a minimum grade 4 in Maths and IT/Computer Science; Art & Design requires a minimum grade 4 in an Arts-based GCSE.
The CACHE Level 3 Childcare Diploma requires BOTH English Language AND Maths at grade 4 or above. CACHE students wishing to move into Primary teaching in the future also require at least a grade 4 in Science.