Please note, this is an enrichment course, not part of a students’ main programme of study.
Providing extensive support and guidance for students applying to Russell Group universities including Oxford and Cambridge.
The Stretch & Challenge Programme offers:Stretch & Challenge Programme offers:
- preparation for university tests and interviews.
- support with personal statements.
- a place on the Stretch & Challenge Summer School in June.
- extension work opportunities.
- access to Moodle website with links, activities and aptitude tests which will strengthen applications to university.
- a specific programme for those students considering applying to Oxford or Cambridge.
(Students interested in medicine should also ensure they have signed up to the Pre Med programme).
December of Year 12 – January of Year 13.
1. December launch meeting in year 12 (students with a GCSE score of at least 6.9 will be sent information regarding this via Tyber)
2. Two enrichment sessions during the Spring term
3. Two days Summer School in June of Year 12
4. Meetings as required such as Oxbridge test sessions, personal statement workshops, 1-to-1 meetings.
None other than optional trips.
Who can sign up
There is a recruitment process for the Stretch and Challenge Programme. Usually students will need to have a very good GCSE profile of strong passes and an academic record would contain evidence of:
- unwavering enthusiasm and interest in their subject and other academic pursuits.
- being proactive and independent.
- having the desire to seek out wider reading and research opportunities.
- taking part in some sort of extracurricular activity – this could be the Extended Project Qualification or wider reading or work experience.
How and when to sign up
1. Students with a strong GCSE profile are invited to a meeting in December to address the key commitments of the programme.
2. Interested students then sign up via Moodle in December of Year 12.