Why study CACHE Childcare?
- The Diploma in Childcare and Education (Early Years Educator) enables students to gain the knowledge and experience which will allow them to work with children from birth to 5 years. Upon achievement of the Level 3 Diploma in Childcare and Education it is intended that learners will be able to access higher education or enter the workforce as Early Years Educators.
- The range of vocational assessments – both practical and written – mean that students can showcase their learning and achievements to the best effect when they take their next step, whether that’s supporting applications to higher education courses or potential employers.
Why study CACHE Childcare at Solihull Sixth Form College?
- Students will have the opportunity through vocational experience to interact with the early years sector, providing the opportunity to experience 750 hours in the early years sector.
- A variety of teaching methods and learning experiences will be used ranging from classroom based activities through to visiting specialist speakers.
There are 15 Mandatory Units which all learners must complete:
• Unit 1: Child development from conception to seven years
• Unit 2: Children’s health and well-being
• Unit 3: Providing safe environments for children
• Unit 4: Child health
• Unit 5: Play and learning
• Unit 6: Understanding children’s additional needs
• Unit 7: Observation, assessment and planning
• Unit 9: Supporting emergent literacy
• Unit 10: Supporting emergent mathematics
• Unit 11: Preparing for school readiness
• Unit 12: International perspectives
• Unit 13: Reflective practice for professional development
• Unit 14: Professional partnerships in early years
• Unit 16: Professional practice
There is a combination of work placement assessed observations, written assignments, a Professional Practice Portfolio and also pieces of work which are externally set and assessed.
Examining Board – CACHE.
Special Entry Requirements
In addition to the standard entry requirements, minimum grade 4 in both English Language and Mathematics at GCSE is required. It is an advantage to have achieved at least grade 4 in Science, which is essential if you wish to move into Primary Teaching in the future. A clear DBS ‘Disclosure and Barring Service’, due to the vocational aspect of the qualification and the requirement to undertake vocational experience is also needed. The cost of the DBS is approximately £60.00 and you are responsible for this payment (details of how to pay will be provided).
What do our students go on to do?
Upon successful completion of the course there are wide ranges of opportunities available for progression ranging from:
Teaching Assistant in primary schools: Supporting teachers and helping children to develop
Nursery Practitioner: Working as part of a team to care for and educate children aged between 0-4 years
Pre-School Practitioner: Working with children aged 3-4 to prepare them for school
Nanny: Working for a family to care for their child in a home environment
University: You can choose from a range of degree courses to enable you to move onto career paths such as: primary school teaching, paediatric nursing and social work.
Coursework & Teaching Methods
For this award the student will be expected to complete a range of assignments linked to the mandatory units. These may be in a variety of formats from essay style through to presentations of research. A variety of teaching methods and learning experiences will be used ranging from classroom-based activities through to visiting specialist speakers and the completion of 750 hours of vocationally appropriate settings. The settings and amount required is outlined in the table below.
|Age Range||Certificate Hours||Diploma Hours||Total Hours|
|0 – 1 year 11 months||25||25||50|
|2 – 2 years 11 months||130||130||260|
|3 – 5 years||170||170||340|
|Specialist placements such as 5-7 years||40||60||100|
Although the course can lead to direct entry into employment within the early years sector, students may wish to progress into Higher Education and go to University. Below is an overview of the points that can be gained according to grade achieved:
|Diploma Grade||Tariff Points|
This information is correct for September 2020 entry.